Written by Edna Liggin
February 27, 1964
The 1940’s began and a sobered Union Gin turned its thoughts toward helping in any small way it could the war effort. Again the splendid community spirit was evidenced as the school was used for meetings for this effort. Working with the school was the Union Gin HDC. Twice they sponsored an evening of entertainment for soldiers stationed at Selman Field, Monroe, providing a potluck supper and folk music and dancing.
The HDC ladies also cooperated with a square dance and old fashioned dress parade at Farmerville to raise funds for the United War effort. Donations at Union Gin were given outright by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Selbert and Victor Albritton. The Community was interested in one of its first boys in service….Dewitt Barham, Jr. Meanwhile, the sixth War Loan drive opened in Bernice with Mrs. Jim Fuller and Mrs. H. E. Colvin calling for volunteer knitters.
The war ended and one of the boys of Union Gin stayed behind in a grave in France, later to be re-buried at Shiloh. This was Marvin Fomby. Other boys of the community came home to re-fashion their lives and to settle many of them elsewhere than the home community. Children continued to play at recess at Union Gin as they came in on buses from Evergreen and Mt. Patrick, but babies born after the end of World War II were not destined to go to Union Gin.
The school was closed in 1946 or 47, over the protest of many who had loved it dearly; it was decided that the day of small country grammar schools was over and all would go to Bernice. This frame building was torn down. The school that had held so much life of the community no longer existed.
Named for a community cotton gin, it became the symbol of community life on the highest level. It opened its doors for the community — for civic, patriotic and spiritual needs.