A Horrible Death

The Gazette
April 5, 1899

Mrs. Riley Agerton, an aged lady who lived alone with her husband in the Carroll neighborhood, met with a sad and horrible death Monday afternoon. It is supposed that she was trying to kindle a fire in the stove for the purpose of cooking supper and that in so doing her clothes caught fire. When her husband, who likewise is almost helpless from old age, reached the house he found his wife lying on the floor dead, her face downward. Her clothes were yet burning and Mr. Agerton reached the house just in time to save the building from being consumed. At the time she was found Mr. Agerton was barely burned to the extent that death would have followed from the burns alone, and it is hoped that heart failure, produced by fright might have been the cause of her death. At any rate, her fate was sad enough.

Tell Us What You Think About It

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.