October 5, 1939
Denomination Started In Union by ’75 Influx
Started by an influx of preachers in 1875. Union Parish today has six places of worship for the Church of Christ.
Preachers of this denomination entered the parish about the year 1875 and soon afterwards a church was established near Spearsville. Churches at Ward’s Chapel and Rocky Branch soon followed that first church.
Today, there are six comparatively new structures housing this denomination throughout the parish. They are located at Lockhart, Spearsville, Ward’s Chapel, Rocky Branch, Lin Grove and Fairview. Each church has about 150 members.
Most of the original founders of these churches have passed away, but there are still some of the “old settlers” left.