October 5, 1939
Union Cross Roads Was Name Of Place In The Early Days
The present community of Oakland, in the extreme northern part of Union Parish, is credited with having been settled in the early 1840’s by the same general wave of settlers from Alabama and Georgia that settled many other towns in the parish.
Originally called Union Cross Roads, the community grew up under the incentive of cotton raising and shipping that these Alabama slave owners carried on. (Old settlers, humorously recall that letters used to be addressed “Union X Roads”)
Early settlers of the community included Joseph Slade, Robert Murphy, George Everett, the Mattersons, the Wootens, Duncan D. Dawkins, and others.
The first school was built about 1850 and Mrs. Dettie A. Goldsby is considered as about the first teacher. It was known as the “16th Section School.” The first church is supposed to have been built about the same time. It was called the Spring Hill Church.
Some of the later settlers in the town included the Slades, Murphys, and others. These two, in partnership, are supposed to have had the first store in the town.
Following Slade and Murphy as merchants were J. F. Sample and McFadden & Murphy, composed of T. H. McFaddin and George E. Murphy. These were followed by O. O. Clark & Co., W. K. Slade and others. The only business there now is Mrs. Alice Landers, who has had a mercantile establishment for many years.