October 5, 1939
The start of the present Sanders Variety Store began in 1909 when George D. Sanders opened a store in the building now occupied by the Farmerville Mercantile Company.
In the early ’20’s the store moved to its present location and Mr. Sanders operated a general merchandise store until his death in 1930.
In that year, Mrs. Sanders took over the business and started operating the present Variety Store.
Bolton Tabor, brother of Mrs. Sanders, has been connected with the business for the past few years. Mr. Tabor was formerly in business in the southern part of Texas near Brownsville.
Today, the store is stocked with school supplies, variety goods, shoes, general household utensils, etc., and is the “Headquarters for Santa Claus.”
The store has operated on a strictly cash basis since it was opened. It employs three people.