October 5, 1939
Settled in 1778, Linville, named after that first settler “Linville”, was a close ally of Ouachita City in that town’s bustling days of 50 years ago.
Linville, who had first cleared land there, built a store a short time later, after more settlers had come in, and started what might be called present-day Linville.
The first school in the section was not built until 1881. In that year, Bill Kirkpatrick, Ike Reppond and Dick Pilgreen made the first move to build the schoolhouse. This school, called Oak Grove, was a rude, coarse log building and lasted one term.
Four years later, another attempt was made. This time a one room frame building was put up. This school lasted for five years. This school was moved to the McKinnie place. There, it was much improved with some of the forerunners of modern educational facilities appearing.
In 1909, a bitter fight resulted in the construction of a two-room building one mile west of Oak Grove. In 1912, it was enlarged by two more rooms.
Since then the school has begun to grown and take more of an active part in the community. In 1922, it was made a Junior High School. The next year an auditorium was built and the old building remodeled. A home economics cottage was added in 1927 after a bond sale.
In 1930, an agricultural building was added with S. D. Reech as the first agriculture teacher. A few years ago a large light plant was added until today the school has on of the modern plants of the parish. With government aid much progress has been made at Linville school and today it is one of the outstanding high schools in the parish not only from an educational standpoint but, from an athletic one as well.