December 6, 1905
It is still on the bank of the Ouachita river, exactly where it was fifty years ago, so they say.
Ouachita hasn’t had its name in the parish paper for six months, more or less, a fact so greatly deplored that we have decided to put a stop to it by letting you hear from us.
Our little town is busy these days, there being a deal of trade from the surrounding country.
The water is rising considerably and the steamer Handy is now making weekly trips up from Monroe.
Mr. W. L. Griffin, teacher of the Ouachita school, visited Monroe Saturday.
The many friends of Mr. George Steele were glad to welcome him on our streets Saturday, though he made a rather hurried visit leaving on the morning train for Monroe.
Our nearest railroad station is about three miles, and we didn’t need the railroad much closer, after all.
Mr. G. M. Sims has returned from a stay of several days in Texarkana.
Mrs. Viola Irwin has been spending a couple of weeks at the house of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Platt. She left a few days since for her house in Gonzales, accompanied by her sister, Miss Eva Platt who will after a short visit to South Louisiana, enter school in Shreveport, where she will complete a course in typewriting and stenography.
Mrs. McKee, of Meridian, Miss, has been the guest of Mr. J. A. Peek’s family during the past few weeks. We regret to learn that she thinks of returning home soon.
Our young people seem to be taking unusual interest in horse back riding of late and Ouachita feels proud of her young equestrians but one young lady seems to prefer Steele-trap rides, and we don’t wonder, since this is an up to date kind of trap.
Well, we have a modest little town and don’t like to talk too much about ourselves on first beginnings. We ???