Oakland Region Proves Fertile For Rearing Governors

The present village of Oakland is an old established community of Union Parish. Its name until after the Civil War was Union Cross Roads, and was said to have been named by Reverend George Everett, one of the first settlers. In the early days, both ante-bellum and post-bellum, the community was the center of culture. … Continue reading Oakland Region Proves Fertile For Rearing Governors

Advertisements

Edward’s Station Dealers in Mobiloil

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 Edwards' Service Station, dealers in Magnolia Petroleum Company's products, offers one of the best complete automobile service stations in this section. Beginning operation in 1938, the business has been well received here and made many improvements. Today, they offer a complete lubrication with the finest products being used. They are dealers … Continue reading Edward’s Station Dealers in Mobiloil

Farmerville High School Organized In Early 1900’s

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 Preceded by several academies here, including the Union Male and Female Academy and the Farmerville Institute, the present day Farmerville High School was not organized until 1908 when a brick building was completed in 1909. E. E. Keebler was the first principal with the faculty including Miss Bertha Cobb and Mrs. … Continue reading Farmerville High School Organized In Early 1900’s

First Court House Ordered Built At Police Jury Meet Sept., 1839

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 Parish Jail Construction Was Given Much Consideration; Was Referred to As "Goal" At the meeting of the parish police jury on September 2, 1839, at the home of William C. Carr, the body voted approval for the first parish court house. The plans as adopted called for the building to be … Continue reading First Court House Ordered Built At Police Jury Meet Sept., 1839

Linville First Had School in ’81 After Work of Citizens

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 Settled in 1778, Linville, named after that first settler "Linville", was a close ally of Ouachita City in that town's bustling days of 50 years ago. Linville, who had first cleared land there, built a store a short time later, after more settlers had come in, and started what might be … Continue reading Linville First Had School in ’81 After Work of Citizens

School Building in Downsville Started in Late 1880’s

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 In the late 80's the first indication of the present day school system in Downsville made it s appearance with the erection of a building east of the Baptist church. This building was an eight-room two-story structure and the second story was used as an auditorium and lodge hall. Early teachers … Continue reading School Building in Downsville Started in Late 1880’s