G. E. Lindsey Has Five Gins Located In This Section

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 G. E. Lindsey of Bernice has long been an active businessman in that section. Starting in 1901, Mr. Lindsey entered the mercantile business. He became associated with the firm of Gray, McDonald & Lindsey. In 1906, Gray dropped out of the firm and in 1908 the business became G. E. Lindsey … Continue reading G. E. Lindsey Has Five Gins Located In This Section

Advertisements

Farmerville Had First Telephone In Entire South

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 The distinction of having the first telephones below Mason-Dixon line goes to Farmerville and Union Parish. The credit for bringing this distinction to Farmerville goes to Col. Daniel Stein pioneer merchant, of these parts Running an enormous store here, Mr. Stein went to New York several times a year to buy … Continue reading Farmerville Had First Telephone In Entire South

School System at Marion Started Before Civil War

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939  Bell Academy  Was First School; Present Building Erected 1922 Shortly before the Civil War, the townspeople of Marion gathered together to try and solve the problem of schooling for their children. Thrashing out the problem, they decided to erect a building which was to be called the Bell Academy. work was … Continue reading School System at Marion Started Before Civil War

Town’s Population Estimated In 1869 Around 100 People

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Civil War and Emmigration Accounted for Slight Drop in Number Shortly after the Civil War, when the South was first beginning to feel the pangs of the Reconstruction Era, in 1869, Farmerville's population was small. The war had driven many of its citizens further west and had scattered others. However, … Continue reading Town’s Population Estimated In 1869 Around 100 People

Two Of The First Union Parish Officials, First Woman Resident

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Pictured above are two of the first officers of Union Parish and early settlers of Farmerville. Left to right: W. C. Carr, first sheriff and tax collector; his wife, Sallie Wood Carr; and John Taylor, first parish judge. Mr. Carr built the first house in Farmerville. It was at this … Continue reading Two Of The First Union Parish Officials, First Woman Resident

Old “Union Record” Was Town’s First Paper

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Old 'Union Record' Was Farmerville's First Newspaper; Lasted Eight Years Was Founded in 1870 by J. M. Rabun, Later Sold to J. E. Trimble; Changed to 'Gazette' Farmerville 'Gazette' Established in 1878   The newspapers of a community reflect the life of that community. They are the recorders of every … Continue reading Old “Union Record” Was Town’s First Paper

Parish Police Jury Composed of Seven Men 100 Years Ago

The Gazette October 5, 1939 William Wilkerson's Home Was Meeting Place of the Group   The men who formed Union Parish are worth remembering. The group that gathered at the home of William Wilkerson on May 16, 1939 near the mouth of Bayou Cornie were seven men "tried and true". They were John N. Farmer, … Continue reading Parish Police Jury Composed of Seven Men 100 Years Ago

Thomas Was One of Union’s Most Distinguished Son

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Lee Emmett Thomas, one of Union Parish's most distinguished sons, was born at Marion, Sept. 23, 1866 and died New Orleans February 16, 1935.  His paternal grandfather was Rev. Sampson B. Thomas and his maternal grandfather was Rev. Elias George, both pioneer Baptist preachers of Union Parish who immigrated here … Continue reading Thomas Was One of Union’s Most Distinguished Son

Marion Is Considered Ones Of Oldest Towns

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Town Named After County In Alabama Early Settlers Made Start At Present Site Another one of Union Parish's earliest settlements -- Marion -- was settled, named and developed by settlers from Alabama. Working their way back from Alabama Landing and the Ouachita River, these settlers are supposed to have stopped … Continue reading Marion Is Considered Ones Of Oldest Towns

Farmerville Businesses 1939

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Farmerville Mercantile Chartered in 1913 Farmerville Mercantile Company, Ltd., is one of Farmerville's oldest business establishments. Chartered December 13, 1913 with the doors opened for business on January 1, 1914, this general mercantile store has grown to be on of the town's largest business establishments. The Stockholders in the beginning … Continue reading Farmerville Businesses 1939