Sanders Opened Store Here in 1909

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 The start of the present Sanders Variety Store began in 1909 when George D. Sanders opened a store in the building now occupied by the Farmerville Mercantile Company. In the early '20's the store moved to its present location and Mr. Sanders operated a general merchandise store until his death in … Continue reading Sanders Opened Store Here in 1909

Advertisements

50 Years Ago Ouachita City Was Bustling Community

W. L. GriffinThe GazetteOctober 5, 1939 Fifty years ago Ouachita City was a busy, growing little town located in the trading center of North Louisiana, with all the possibilities of becoming a great and flourishing town. Situated on the west bank of the Ouachita River in Union Parish, where Bayou Bartholomew empties into the Ouachita … Continue reading 50 Years Ago Ouachita City Was Bustling Community

Ramsey Deals In Electrical Supplies

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 The first store of its kind in Farmerville is the Ramsey Electrical Appliances which opened its doors for business in February of this year. Operating on a franchise from the General Electric corporation, the business deals exclusively in General Electric refrigerators, radios and electrical supplies of all kinds. This summer the … Continue reading Ramsey Deals In Electrical Supplies

Prosperity, Rapid Development Marked D’Arbonne Community In Its Early History

Walter HitesmanThe GazetteOctober 5, 1939 In 1878, at the height of the reconstruction era in the South, a merchant, Eli Rugg, wandered in to the land south of Farmerville and established a store where today the community of D'Arbonne is. Rugg erected a blacksmith shop and a residence a short time later. His store began … Continue reading Prosperity, Rapid Development Marked D’Arbonne Community In Its Early History

Alabamians Settled Haile Community Early Last Century

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 Like most of Union Parish's settlements, Haile was settled early in the 19th century by immigrants from Alabama. Some of those old families were: Johnston, Thomas, Toler, Wheeler, Stringer, Edwards, Williamson, Beasley, Striping, Jordan, Randall, Lee, Pace, Haile and Day. The town was a typical small settlement. There were a few … Continue reading Alabamians Settled Haile Community Early Last Century

Marion’s Citizens Founded Baptist Church Nov. 20, ’90

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 Rev. A. J. Calloway Was Instrumental in Founding of Church On November 30, 1890 a group of Marion citizens met to form the Missionary Baptist Church of that town. At 11 a.m. on that brisk, fall morning, the Rev. A. J. Calloway preached using as his text, "I command you, brethren, … Continue reading Marion’s Citizens Founded Baptist Church Nov. 20, ’90

Oakland Settled In Early ’40’s By Few Pioneers

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 Union Cross Roads Was Name Of Place In The Early Days The present community of Oakland, in the extreme northern part of Union Parish, is credited with having been settled in the early 1840's by the same general wave of settlers from Alabama and Georgia that settled many other towns in … Continue reading Oakland Settled In Early ’40’s By Few Pioneers

G. E. Lindsey Has Five Gins Located In This Section

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 G. E. Lindsey of Bernice has long been an active businessman in that section. Starting in 1901, Mr. Lindsey entered the mercantile business. He became associated with the firm of Gray, McDonald & Lindsey. In 1906, Gray dropped out of the firm and in 1908 the business became G. E. Lindsey … Continue reading G. E. Lindsey Has Five Gins Located In This Section

Farmerville Had First Telephone In Entire South

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 The distinction of having the first telephones below Mason-Dixon line goes to Farmerville and Union Parish. The credit for bringing this distinction to Farmerville goes to Col. Daniel Stein pioneer merchant, of these parts Running an enormous store here, Mr. Stein went to New York several times a year to buy … Continue reading Farmerville Had First Telephone In Entire South