Brick From First Court House Used

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Did you know that the two corner brick buildings on the court house square were constructed in 1870 from the brick that were used in the construction of the first parish court house, built in 1842. They were erected in 1870 when the second court house, a frame building was … Continue reading Brick From First Court House Used

Advertisements

Two Of The First Union Parish Officials, First Woman Resident

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Pictured above are two of the first officers of Union Parish and early settlers of Farmerville. Left to right: W. C. Carr, first sheriff and tax collector; his wife, Sallie Wood Carr; and John Taylor, first parish judge. Mr. Carr built the first house in Farmerville. It was at this … Continue reading Two Of The First Union Parish Officials, First Woman Resident

Old “Union Record” Was Town’s First Paper

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Old 'Union Record' Was Farmerville's First Newspaper; Lasted Eight Years Was Founded in 1870 by J. M. Rabun, Later Sold to J. E. Trimble; Changed to 'Gazette' Farmerville 'Gazette' Established in 1878   The newspapers of a community reflect the life of that community. They are the recorders of every … Continue reading Old “Union Record” Was Town’s First Paper

Parish Police Jury Composed of Seven Men 100 Years Ago

The Gazette October 5, 1939 William Wilkerson's Home Was Meeting Place of the Group   The men who formed Union Parish are worth remembering. The group that gathered at the home of William Wilkerson on May 16, 1939 near the mouth of Bayou Cornie were seven men "tried and true". They were John N. Farmer, … Continue reading Parish Police Jury Composed of Seven Men 100 Years Ago

Thomas Was One of Union’s Most Distinguished Son

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Lee Emmett Thomas, one of Union Parish's most distinguished sons, was born at Marion, Sept. 23, 1866 and died New Orleans February 16, 1935.  His paternal grandfather was Rev. Sampson B. Thomas and his maternal grandfather was Rev. Elias George, both pioneer Baptist preachers of Union Parish who immigrated here … Continue reading Thomas Was One of Union’s Most Distinguished Son

Marion Is Considered Ones Of Oldest Towns

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Town Named After County In Alabama Early Settlers Made Start At Present Site Another one of Union Parish's earliest settlements -- Marion -- was settled, named and developed by settlers from Alabama. Working their way back from Alabama Landing and the Ouachita River, these settlers are supposed to have stopped … Continue reading Marion Is Considered Ones Of Oldest Towns

Farmerville Businesses 1939

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Farmerville Mercantile Chartered in 1913 Farmerville Mercantile Company, Ltd., is one of Farmerville's oldest business establishments. Chartered December 13, 1913 with the doors opened for business on January 1, 1914, this general mercantile store has grown to be on of the town's largest business establishments. The Stockholders in the beginning … Continue reading Farmerville Businesses 1939

Farmerville School Bell Used During Slavery By Carr

The Gazette October 5, 1939 (Picture provided by Gerald Thurston) Carr Sold Bell to Local School Following War On these brisk fall mornings when the "clang-clang" of the town's school bell calls Farmerville children to the classrooms, how many of you know the real story and history of that bell? The peal that now cuts … Continue reading Farmerville School Bell Used During Slavery By Carr