By Mrs. C. J. Morton The Gazette October 5, 1939 Captain Henderson Was Town Builder Town Was Formally Incorporated in 1899 The site where the town of Bernice now stands was originally a huge forest known as the "big woods". There, large virgin pines stood and it was only natural that the lumber companies would … Continue reading Town of Bernice Was Formed 40 Years Ago
"Save the Caboose Campaign" has begun! Contributions are greatly appreciated no matter how small ! Plans are underway to restore the caboose as an actual caboose. You can send donations to Bernice Historical Society, P.O. Box 524, Bernice, Louisiana 71222 or to Cathy Buckely at 12764 Hwy 2 Bernice 71222.
Bernice Historical Society Bernice Dots #4 By Cathy Buckley In mid December of 1899 the village of Bernice was incorporated with J. T. “Jake” Crews as the first mayor. The first marshal was W.H. McLaurin and E.C. Colvin, A.H. Henderson and E.B. Robinson made up the first town aldermen. The new railroad town was … Continue reading Bernice Dots #4
Bernice Historical Society Bernice Dots #2 1899 By Cathy Buckley The year 1899 saw the birth of the town of Bernice, the village of Lillie and the death of the village of Shiloh. Capt. Henderson was moving his Arkansas Southern railroad at a fast clip toward Ruston making deals for timber, right of way and … Continue reading Bernice Dots #2