Founded Pleasant Hill Church in ’72

The GazetteOctober 5, 1939 The present Pleasant Hill Baptist church was founded August 21, 1872. The Rev S. T. Cobb and the Rev. Jonathan Miller, R. C. Webb and W. C. Carr were the persons mainly responsible for the founding of the organization Charter members were W. P. Smith, William M. Burford, W. D. Thurston … Continue reading Founded Pleasant Hill Church in ’72

Two Of The First Union Parish Officials, First Woman Resident

The Gazette October 5, 1939 Pictured above are two of the first officers of Union Parish and early settlers of Farmerville. Left to right: W. C. Carr, first sheriff and tax collector; his wife, Sallie Wood Carr; and John Taylor, first parish judge. Mr. Carr built the first house in Farmerville. It was at this … Continue reading Two Of The First Union Parish Officials, First Woman Resident

Parish Police Jury Composed of Seven Men 100 Years Ago

The Gazette October 5, 1939 William Wilkerson's Home Was Meeting Place of the Group   The men who formed Union Parish are worth remembering. The group that gathered at the home of William Wilkerson on May 16, 1939 near the mouth of Bayou Cornie were seven men "tried and true". They were John N. Farmer, … Continue reading Parish Police Jury Composed of Seven Men 100 Years Ago