October 5, 1939
John Taylor Was First to Hold This High Office Here in 1839
Looked upon as an oddity today but no doubt as sane and business-like as any of our modern practices was the appointing of Parish judges in Union Parish up until 1878.
When the parish was first founded in 1839, John Taylor was appointed as first parish judge Taylor, an old time settler at the time, served as the first parish judge and his name and title will be found on many of the old records of the parish.
He was succeeded as parish judge by T. B. Tomkins in 1868. This second parish judge served until 1872. He was succeeded by Thomas C. Louis. He served five years, until 1877, at which time the parish judge’s office was taken over by W. R. Roberts.
The last parish judge, George A. Kilgore, Jr., who is still living in Baton Rouge, La., took office in 1878. At the expiration of his term, the office was abolished.
Thus, for a half century, local men ruled the parish as parish judges, administering justice to the early settlers with the iron hand that always has marked the law.
This parish court only had jurisdiction over most civil matters.